Powered By Blogger

THE most over used word in sports....

Topic ONE:
It drives me absolutely nuts and I hate the word. It is THE most over used word in all of sports- CHOKE. This team choked, that team choked, what a choke, did you see those guys choke? Everyone has their own definition of the word CHOKE and here's mine. If a team that is 'substantially' more talented, loses, in dramatic fashion, to a team that is 'noticeably' weaker in talent... that qualifies as a choke to me. Therefore, I do NOT consider Canada's loss to Russia as a choke. In my opinion... both teams were equal in talent, both teams were not really expected to get to the Gold Medal game and one team dominated two periods while the other took control in the third period. Fair and square win for Russia. Not a choke.

Topic TWO:
If you really want my opinion of the Ultimate Choke Job? Look no further than April 1982 and the Miracle on Manchester (one of the very few LA Kings high moments I might add). The Oilers gassed a 5-0 lead only to lose in overtime 6-5 to Mario Lessard and the Kings. Here's why this one truly is a CHOKE. The Oil finished the season 48 points better than Los Angeles and the two teams weren't even comparable in talent. It shouldn't have even been close. But if you check out 'my' definition of a choke above and you'll see why this one truly qualifies. It was beyond belief.

Topic THREE:
I caught the Oilers and Islanders at Rexall on Thursday night. It was almost like watching two teams in 28th and 29th place in the overall standings. Best line I've heard in awhile "I went to a 50/50 draw and a hockey game broke out". Kinda sums it up. BTW- the 50/50 was $27,000!

Topic BONUS:
Not that he's gonna be on poor street any time soon but Tiger Woods has lost a couple more endorsement deals. Both Golf Digest and Gillette have decided not renewed their deals with Woods. So that's brings the number to five that have dropped Tiger since his 'episode'- Accenture, AT&T and Gatorade being the others. We'll see what happens if he ever starts winning again.


One last thing!?
The NFL Playoffs start up this weekend... I'll be hosting at The Playbook Lounge at Northlands Park on both Saturday and Sunday... C'mon down and enjoy! Should be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment